Saturday, May 29, 2010

Sangeet Katyar Kaljaat Ghusli

Yesterday was one of the most enriching evening of my holidays as of yet. So far i have been stuck up at home- either preparing words for GRE or wasting my time playing mindless games. But then the other day I saw an advert in the newspaper that a show of the legendary marathi drama "Sangeet Katyar Kaljat Ghusli" was on. Attendance, for me, was compulsory. I have as of yot never seen Katyar.. Ive just heard a lot on it. About how amazing Vasantrao was in the original, how good the songs were- Ive just heard. I had never experienced the joy of attending a sangeet-natak before. So, not attending was out of question. I purchased a 200 rs ticket, but i never mind spending on such legendary shows- they are a bargain price I would say, I would pay 500 rupees to watch it live!

The show was scheduled at 9.30, and so after a collation, I hastened towards Balgandharwa Rangmandir for the show. An elaborate coincidence was to occur- I met Sanjeev, and he had a seat right next to mine! What was significant that even after so many years the play has been performed,(the actors have changed ofcourse) the theater was jam packed. A housefull show for the 25th screening of this particular version, directed by subodh bhave. What more can anyone ask for! It was also graced by none other that Nana Patekar himself! Anyway, the show started, and for a change I was glued to one place till it ended. from 9.30 to 1.30. 4 hours without getting up from my seat!! It was mesmerizing, it was captivating, and the most brilliantly directed play I have seen.

Most of you will not know the story of this Natak- and I do not expect you to know it. But I will not disclose it- for it is to be watched in a natyagruha, and not heard from people. All I can say is that the performances were majestic. Rahul Deshpande was just awesome playing KhanSahab. His singing was something else! The character Baanke Bihari, portrayed by Subodh Bhave, was certainly a catching performance. He may not have had anything to sing, but his performance was right up there. The actors who lplayed the roles of Uma and Zarina were also amazing. The first song-"Lagi Kalejwa Katyar " was excellent! and so was the slower version of Gheyi Chhanda Makaranda performed by them.And Mahesh Kale who performed the role of Sadashiv- was out of the world! Especially for that tarana and ofcourse Muralidhar Shyam!

I was overwhelmed by the play. The story is just brilliant. The characters are all exceptional. Its a wonderful amalgamation of music and human emotions. It has few of the most beautiful songs ever composed for a Marathi natak- Lagi Kalejwa Katyar. Gheyi Chhanda both the slow and the fast versions, Muralidhar Shyam, Tejo nidhi Loha Gol, Ya Bhavanateel Geet and ofcourse, Surat Piya Ki. It was purely Magical. I have no words. I have no comparisons. It certainly is the most spectacular things I have seen in recent momory, and I sure do not want to wipe it out ever! It is a must watch for all- regardless of your age, your language, your likes and dislikes. I dont want to say much, just that the next time its on, I am going again...Its a million times better than the crap you get in the same amount from bollywood...

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chinmay,

    It's really great review. Thank you for sharing this.
    And thank got you didn't disclose the story.
    I am excited to watch this play. I am big fan of Rahul Deshpande. I guess he is the only young artist with profound classical base. This is legacy of Indian (Marathi) Classical Music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the review, although I am reading it 5 years after it was published :). Anyways i wanted to say thank you for posting the lyrics of the immortal "Tejonidhi Loh gaal" in another post. I saw the movie version just last week courtesy the local Marathi Mandal. I am based in Chicago and they had organized a special screening. I have watched the original in very early childhood - B and W, Doordarshan - and the movies was brilliant and ofcourse nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have watched original play in 1967/68. It was fantastic.I was already a fan of Vasantrao and that performance left us speechless. Then I watched Rahul's play on Zee TV. So far as natyagayan is concerned it is excellent. However, Rahul being young tries to play old man and it becomes bit artificial. On the other hand Vasantrao was older but his movements on stage were electrified. Now looking forward to watch movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have watched original play in 1967/68. It was fantastic.I was already a fan of Vasantrao and that performance left us speechless. Then I watched Rahul's play on Zee TV. So far as natyagayan is concerned it is excellent. However, Rahul being young tries to play old man and it becomes bit artificial. On the other hand Vasantrao was older but his movements on stage were electrified. Now looking forward to watch movie.

    ReplyDelete